Want to know the secret of the best chilli? Keep reading our fab recipe triple tested by our team of home economists!
Main ingredients : minced beef
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 heaped tsp hot chilli powder (or 1 level tbsp if you only have mild)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 beef stock cube
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 410g can red kidney beans, drained
- Boiled long grain rice, to serve
- Soured cream, to serve
- Add the oil and onions to a large pan and cook till soft and translucent. Then add garlic, red pepper, chilli powder, paprika, cumin and the special ingredient, cocoa powder.
- Stir well and leave to cook for a further five minutes.
- Add the minced beef to the mixture and stir till all cooked through.
- Crumble 1 beef stock cube into 300ml hot water. Pour this into the pan with the mince mixture.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, dried marjoram and 1 tsp sugar and season to taste.
- Squirt in about 2 tbsp tomato purée and stir the sauce well.
- Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Add the red kidney beans to the chilli and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with soured cream and plain boiled long grain rice.