Find out how to make indulgent carrot cakes, a recipe triple tested tested by our UK home economist team.
Main ingredients : carrots , flour , sugar , lemon zest , eggs , cinnamon , walnuts
- 275g caster sugar
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 300g grated organic carrot
- 225g organic wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tbsp fairtrade cocoa powder
For the orange frosting:
- 100g butter
- 200g full fat soft cheese
- 200g icing sugar
- 1 well-scrubbed orange
- A handful of lightly crushed walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C on the Circuliare (Fan). Line the pockets of a muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Beat the sugar, oil and eggs in Smeg mixer (using the beater attachment) until smooth, then on a low setting add in the grated carrot.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, spices and cocoa so that they're evenly mixed, then tip this into the carrot mixture and mix for a couple of minutes.
- Fill the muffin cases to about two-thirds full and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a skewer poked in comes out almost clean.
- To make the frosting, sift the icing sugar into a Smeg mixing bowl and add the butter and vanilla extract. Beat with the whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Finely grate half the orange zest and add this to the butter cream mix along with the soft cheese until thoroughly combined.
- Once the cakes are cool, pipe or swirl the frosting on top. Dust with crushed walnuts for added crunch and serve.