For indulgent extra lemony sponge cake, take a look at our winning recipe below.
Main ingredients : flour, butter, sugar, lemon, eggs.
- 225g softened butter (for greasing)
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
For the filling:
- 200g icing sugar (plus extra for dusting)
- 100g softened butter
- 2tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 5tbsp lemon curd
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C on the Circulaire setting. Grease two 20cm loose-based sandwich tins with a little butter and base line with baking parchment.
2. To make the cake batter, put the butter, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, flour and baking powder in a food processor and blend on the pulse setting until lightly but thoroughly combined. Divide the cake batter between the lined tins and spread evenly to the sides.
3. Place the cakes on the same shelf, in the middle of the oven, and bake for 23-25 minutes until well risen and beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tins. Cool for 5 minutes. Run a round bladed knife around the edge of each cake and turn out onto a wirerack. Leave until cold.
4. To make the filling, sift the icing sugar into a large bowl and addthe butter and lemon juice. Blend in the food processor until smooth and creamy.
5. Place one of the cakes on a plate. Using a rubber spatula, spread the cake with icing, taking care not to lift the sponge. Spoon the lemon curd on top and sandwich with the other cake. Dust lightly with sifted icing sugar and serve.